11 posts / 0 new
Last post
shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners
English

Hi,

I am waiting for an audition for this amplifier. I have read raved reviews of this particular power amp. I am a tube amp user and find the achilees heel of most ss amps to be in their midrange. So I was wondering whether I can match a tube preamp to this poweramp and get the benefits of tube and the bass of ss amps. Any recommendation on good preamps to match with this are also welcome, ideally I would like to limit my expenditure on the preamp to about 1500 pounds.

 

Regards,

Shafin

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2118
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

Audionote M2 would also be worth a look for that budget, usually go for around £1k S/H.

That Mastersound is very well rated too, not heard it though.

Looking new, maybe the Icon Audio LA3 MKIII is around £1k, and the Croft ones too. Had an Icon LA3 which was very good, so the LA4 should be a belter too.

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1314
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

I like the Bryston 4BSST  it is a good solid very powerful amp that just gets on with amplifing music with no fuss or bother , it just does what it says on the tin and it should work well with a valve pre - amp .

But as alternative you could try an Electrocompaniet  AW250 R , it is at least as powerful if not more so than the Bryston , it is extremely well built with a excellent worldwide reputation for sound quality and reliability  and already provides that liquid valve like transparency in the midrange but without the euphonic distortion  associated with some valve power amps .

 

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/poweramp/aw250r.html

You might even find that you don't feel the need to use a valve pre with it after audition Smile

 

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

hoopsontoast wrote:

Audionote M2 would also be worth a look for that budget, usually go for around £1k S/H.

That Mastersound is very well rated too, not heard it though.

Looking new, maybe the Icon Audio LA3 MKIII is around £1k, and the Croft ones too. Had an Icon LA3 which was very good, so the LA4 should be a belter too.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm tempted by audio note as I plan to purchase their speakers later. Icon Audio is rather convenient because I have an Icon dealer in town and with tubes I would like to buy something with a warranty. I'll have a look at the croft.

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

shafesk wrote:

hoopsontoast wrote:

Audionote M2 would also be worth a look for that budget, usually go for around £1k S/H.

That Mastersound is very well rated too, not heard it though.

Looking new, maybe the Icon Audio LA3 MKIII is around £1k, and the Croft ones too. Had an Icon LA3 which was very good, so the LA4 should be a belter too.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm tempted by audio note as I plan to purchase their speakers later. Icon Audio is rather convenient because I have an Icon dealer in town and with tubes I would like to buy something with a warranty. I'll have a look at the croft.

Ming Da are also worth a look if you have a dealer near you.

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

Macspur wrote:

Not sure if this is still available, but certainly worth enquiring

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?82801-F-S-Mastersound-Line-Preamp&highlight=mastersound&p=1516834#post1516834

Mac

Never heard of mastersound before, I'll do some digging  :type:

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

Electro wrote:

I like the Bryston 4BSST  it is a good solid very powerful amp that just gets on with amplifing music with no fuss or bother , it just does what it says on the tin and it should work well with a valve pre - amp .

But as alternative you could try an Electrocompaniet  AW250 R , it is at least as powerful if not more so than the Bryston , it is extremely well built with a excellent worldwide reputation for sound quality and reliability  and already provides that liquid valve like transparency in the midrange but without the euphonic distortion  associated with some valve power amps .

 

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/poweramp/aw250r.html

You might even find that you don't feel the need to use a valve pre with it after audition Smile

 

I have always liked the Electrocompanient brand, they have a sense of truth to them. One big plus with the Bryston is their 20 year warranty which is unbeatable when you think its a 3000 pound power amp! I will be using this for decades, maybe even pass on to the little ones. I believe Electro is a reliable brand with a solid reputation and I will keep that in mind when I demo it. Thanks Smile
shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

hoopsontoast wrote:

shafesk wrote:

hoopsontoast wrote:

Audionote M2 would also be worth a look for that budget, usually go for around £1k S/H.

That Mastersound is very well rated too, not heard it though.

Looking new, maybe the Icon Audio LA3 MKIII is around £1k, and the Croft ones too. Had an Icon LA3 which was very good, so the LA4 should be a belter too.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm tempted by audio note as I plan to purchase their speakers later. Icon Audio is rather convenient because I have an Icon dealer in town and with tubes I would like to buy something with a warranty. I'll have a look at the croft.

Ming Da are also worth a look if you have a dealer near you.

Nothing against Ming Da but I'm just not a fan of their designs, completely daft logic some would say but at this price I need it to look good to my eyes...their finishing never matches that of Cayin. Same with Icon Audio to a lesser extent though.

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

I would agree, they dont look that great but they are built very well IME.

I think you have been spoilt by the Cayin stuff, it does look very nice Smile

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: Bryston 4bsst2 or Bryston owners

I think so too my friend, the build quality is just so exquisite and it feels so classy. I don't remember anything under 1500 pounds with this sort of build quality, it is really up there especially when you think its made in China. It is really an argument for moving production to the far east to get higher build quality and performance at a given price point.  

Log in or register to post comments