6 posts / 0 new
Last post
d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
Matthewpiano...

Noticed you sold your B&W 685s on the Bay of E so what's next?

 

I'm soon going to rethink my systems as we've put an offer in on our first house, big house but a semi so going to reduce everything to one system and small speakers (max budget is £300 so will be fun shopping for 2nd hand stuff; already got my eyes on some AE109 speakers)... 

 

Willbe selling my 685s soon enough too so good to see they're keeping their value still Smile

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/02/2009 - 10:51
Posts: 301
RE: Matthewpiano...

d_a_n1979 wrote:

Noticed you sold your B&W 685s on the Bay of E so what's next?

 

I'm soon going to rethink my systems as we've put an offer in on our first house, big house but a semi so going to reduce everything to one system and small speakers (max budget is £300 so will be fun shopping for 2nd hand stuff; already got my eyes on some AE109 speakers)... 

 

Willbe selling my 685s soon enough too so good to see they're keeping their value still Smile

AE109 were great I had a pair, best VFM of any speaker, have you ever tried to lift one, must be one of the heaviest compact budget floorstanders of all time, the cabinets are like solid concrete. and the sand pe loaded in the base justs adds to the weight.

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
RE: Matthewpiano...

Yup.

 

Bought a pair brand new in 1999 from Sevenoaks in Preston and had them up until last year when I stupidly sold them and now regret having done that!!!

 

When I get some they'll go so well with my NAD C320BEE amp...

 

decent, old & second hand system that you'd need to spend close to £1k to better currently IMO! 

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Matthewpiano...

Johnno2 wrote:

AE109 were great I had a pair, best VFM of any speaker, have you ever tried to lift one, must be one of the heaviest compact budget floorstanders of all time, the cabinets are like solid concrete. and the sand pe loaded in the base justs adds to the weight.

 

If only it weren;'t for the Mission 752....18 kilos of audio loveliness.  Mind bogglingly good speaker.

Still stacks up well today and will happily sit alongside more expensive speakers still.  
EDIT: Sorry AEJim...remember the 109s well, but I'd make a good pitch that one of AE's finest moments came in the shape of the AE22 active a few years back.  Yeah, I know, quelle surprise!

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/02/2009 - 10:51
Posts: 301
RE: Matthewpiano...

the record spot wrote:

Johnno2 wrote:

AE109 were great I had a pair, best VFM of any speaker, have you ever tried to lift one, must be one of the heaviest compact budget floorstanders of all time, the cabinets are like solid concrete. and the sand pe loaded in the base justs adds to the weight.

 

If only it weren;'t for the Mission 752....18 kilos of audio loveliness.  Mind bogglingly good speaker.

Still stacks up well today and will happily sit alongside more expensive speakers still.  
EDIT: Sorry AEJim...remember the 109s well, but I'd make a good pitch that one of AE's finest moments came in the shape of the AE22 active a few years back.  Yeah, I know, quelle surprise!

Who isAEJim 

 Anyway, had a pair of the AE 109 as my first floorstander and I assure you they are bloody heavy to move around  at least 20kg each, and probably smaller dimensions than the Mission 752. A big mistake selling them, they were great for rock, despite them being on the warm side.   

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Matthewpiano...

AEJim - brand manager at AE.  He pops on here from time to time.  A good egg.

Log in or register to post comments