428 posts / 0 new
Last post
jcarruthers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 29/01/2013 - 21:04
Posts: 225
RE: KEF ls50

antskip,

 

That's good to hear.

I have read a few articles that state they don't really go with a Brio-R as it's not powerful enough to control them properly.

I feel my speakers are likely to be the next upgrade for me.

 

antskip's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2011 - 20:52
Posts: 56
KEF ls50

jcarruthers wrote:
I have read a few articles that state they don't really go with a Brio-R as it's not powerful enough to control them properly.

Once I had installed the remarkable TQ Greens, the KEF LS50's were beautiful even with a far inferior amp than the Rega Brio-R. I listen to classical music, mostly song, and i do not demand a huge sound. For how I play it, the Rega Brior-R with the KEF LS50's is just stunning in both tone and clarity, bass and soprano, quiet and "loud" (10 o'clock on the amp dial). The upgrade to the superior mains chords really helped overall sound result. The KEF's do seem to respond to hardware changes. I don't claim my "economy" setup is ultimate - just that it works beautifully for me, with my music sources, and in my smallish living room.

If I were to some spare serious money, I would definitely upgrade to the Rega Osirus integrated amp, the Rega Isis CD player, and the TQ Ultra Black speaker cable. That would be some system!

But I am nevertheless utterly in love with the system as it is now! In so many ways it is revelatory. Every music source gives me so many new discoveries and new happiness.

I have my hifi shop manager to thank in steering me towards the Rega Brior-R and Apollo-R (I already had the KEF LS50's, and I described my musical needs and my budget - I agreed to double it!). He was spot on.

Rega Elex-R integrated amp, Rega Apollo-R cd player, Kef LS50 speakers, Rega Reference Power leads, Solaris Remote, TelluriumQ Green speaker cables, TelluriumQ UltraBlack Interconnects.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12580
RE: KEF ls50

antskip wrote:

If I were to some spare serious money, I would definitely upgrade to the Rega Osirus integrated amp, the Rega Isis CD player, and the TQ Ultra Black speaker cable. That would be some system!

It's probably a long way off, but imo you shouldn't get tunnel vision. I heard the Osirus / Isis and was left underwhelmed for the money..........just make sure there are other brands in the mix. Then if the Rega wins out, it deserves to.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

kev g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 04/03/2008 - 16:38
Posts: 152
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

I heard these speakers at the Bristol Hi Fi show & thought they sounded boxy & bass shy - 99.9% of the postings I`ve read on here say they are superb so perhaps it was the room they were in & would fair better in my 5m x 3m (placed along the long length) furnished bedroom attic ?

When you have to consider adding stands is there a similarly priced floorstander that has the same qualities, can equal, better them ?

Would they go well with the Naim Unitilite ?

How would they compare with the PMC DB1i, Tannoy Rev Sig DC6 ?

So many questions I should audition them.

Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Epic cable*

Samsung 40F6740, Sony BDV-E370*

*second-hand

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13025
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

kev g wrote:
I heard these speakers at the Bristol Hi Fi show & thought they sounded boxy & bass shy - 99.9% of the postings I`ve read on here say they are superb so perhaps it was the room they were in

Doubt it, I heard them there as well and thought they sounded extraordinary.

Pipila's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 13
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3629
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Pipila wrote:

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

If you couldn't separate them by listening, then why not choose the one you like the look of the most or the cheapest?

Pipila's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 13
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Overdose wrote:

Pipila wrote:

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

If you couldn't separate them by listening, then why not choose the one you like the look of the most or the cheapest?

I could separate them:)  but both had some stronger and weaker points - I suppose it was influenced by the listening room a lot. Im just wondering how others think of each of them.  And both were a new pieces, running for a few hours.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3629
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Pipila wrote:

Overdose wrote:

Pipila wrote:

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

If you couldn't separate them by listening, then why not choose the one you like the look of the most or the cheapest?

I could separate them:)  but both had some stronger and weaker points - I suppose it was influenced by the listening room a lot. Im just wondering how others think of each of them.  And both were a new pieces, running for a few hours.

You are the one that is going to live with one or the other of these speakers and you are the one who has listened to them both, back to back. Do not let others sway your choice.

What do you think?

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11382
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Pipila wrote:
Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

Did you hear both of them on the same amplifier that you own and will use? If not, which amplifier was used for the comparison, and which amplifier do you own?

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Pipila wrote:

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

Haven't heard the LS50s, but spent some time with the Q700 while audioning for DACs. The Q700 was rather too forward to my liking, a bit in-yer-face. They had good bass, which you would expect for floorstanders, and were highly detailed, but, in the end, I found them a bit tiring. It was a long session, however, an hour or over.

Plenty of comments in this thread and elsewhere about the LS50s.

Perhaps it would pay to listen to some other makes to give you some perspective - Neat, Dali, B&W, Spendor Dynaudio all have a slightly different way of presenting the music. The other thing to try is to see if you can borrow them for a home loan.

Pipila's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 13
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Overdose wrote:

Pipila wrote:

Overdose wrote:

Pipila wrote:

Hi, is it possible to compare LS50 to Q700, what would be the main differences (advantages, disatvantages of both)?

I've heard the in direct comparisom, buthow confused I am!... the listening room wasn't perfect, and I just cannot make a clear opinion about them, the view of anybode else would be helpful:)

If you couldn't separate them by listening, then why not choose the one you like the look of the most or the cheapest?

I could separate them:)  but both had some stronger and weaker points - I suppose it was influenced by the listening room a lot. Im just wondering how others think of each of them.  And both were a new pieces, running for a few hours.

You are the one that is going to live with one or the other of these speakers and you are the one who has listened to them both, back to back. Do not let others sway your choice.

What do you think?

I see your point, you're right.  To be honest I'm a novice, and quite in doubt between these two. Surely there are more experience people here who are familiar both eith Q700 and LS50, heard them much longer time than me, and have a clear opinion about their qualities (and bad sides) - such opinion would help me . My experience with these two is 2 hours, huess its very little time to make qualified decision.

Pipila's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 13
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

@ David, I heard them in a Hi-Fi shop, but in a quite large (poorly designd for audio listening) room.  Both speakers were connected to Cambridge Audio 651A amp, and Cambridge audio Cd player (cannot remember the exact model, but it was sme price level as the amp).  I just switched the A/B source during listening the songs form Q700 to LS50 - so the comparison was fairly direct. I took a chance to listen to KEFs because its quite complicated in my region to listen to speakers,  and listened even to Q300, but these did not impressed me at all (especially with direct comparison to Q700). I still believe that it was not the problem of amplifier, or CD player, but the problem of the listening room and slight noice from street, but my first impression of Q300 was ("hell, my 10 years old Philips micro system for 200€ sound better with the same CD!"). So I was offered to replace Q300 for LS50 and compare these to Q700. LS50 was a significant improvement over Q300 form me, but stil the sound in that particular room did not let me immerse into the music as expected, it was not so detailed, deep, real... even though I believe these speakers can play musc this way (hopefully?).  Q700 sounded more adult, more sure, but as stated in post below a bit "too forward" and Im a bit affraid how such floorstanders would sound in my living room (5x4m - speakers need to be placed at the longer wall in almost corners).  Im a bit affraid that Q700 are too much for such room (Im not sure with their bass), and perhaps LS50 too little (?)  I definitelly cannot listen LS50 from ideal 2m distance, it will be at least 3m having speakers 4-4.5m from each other....  whats your opinion?

Pipila's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 13
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

@ altruistic.lemon

Thank for opinion! "rather too forward to my liking" is exactly my feeling of these speakers:)  What room did you listened them in?  What is the soundstage, imaging with these speakers? I'd love to borrow them and listen at home, byt that's not possible.

Concerning  B&W, I listened to some of smaller BWs but did not convince me...on the other hand I had a chance to listen to the top range of BW (802 D2) fed with same level amp and player - could not listen it aloud, just at low volume, but it was jaw dropping, terrific sound! So much of everything, but for me the most exiting was the ability to absolutely precisely distinguish each single instrument in music and its exact position-unbelievable!

shaunj_uk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 16/09/2010 - 18:37
Posts: 38
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Hi,

Anyone tried the LS50's with the Roksan K2 amplifier?

Cheers

Shaun

Pages

Log in or register to post comments